THE HORIZON AWARD
Prerequisite: Earn the Journey Award..
TRAIL BADGE WORK:
- Earn the following nine badges: Aquatics, Camping, Fire Ranger, First Aid, Our Flag, Outdoor Cooking, Ropework, Trail Skills, and Woods Tools.
- Earn the following six Horizon Required Trail Badges as an Adventurer: Citizenship, Emergency Preparedness, Family Man, Outdoor Life, and Personal Resources, and any one Fitness Badge (Cycling, Fitness, Hiking, or Swimming).
- Earn a total of ten elective Trail Badges including Elective Trail Badges earned as a Navigator (click). Record these on the badge's completion chart on page 96 of your Handbook and have each one signed by your mentor.
- Complete 20 hours of service for each year since joining the Adventurers level. Record your hours on the service chart in your Handbook (page 98) and have them verified by an adult.
- Maintain a level of Troop meeting attendance acceptable to your Advisor (typically 60% or better).
- Participate in at least eight Troop activities since becoming an Adventurer, not including regular meetings. Record each activity (trips, camp, community outings, etc.) on the activity chart in your Handbook (page 100) and have them verified by an adult.
Since earning the Journey Award, complete one of the following leadership options. Record your chosen option on page 101 of your Handbook and have it verified by a leader.
- Serve as a First Officer, Second Officer, Quartermaster or Patrol Leader for a minimum of six months.
- Plan and implement program, food, and wilderness travel plans (biking, hiking, paddle craft, etc.) for a camping or high adventure trip approved by your Advisor.
- Plan and implement and Adventurers-only high adventure or extended travel experience including program, food, and travel plans approved by your Advisor.
- Plan and implement a unique Troop or patrol service project approved by your Advisor.
- At five Troop meetings, demonstrate your leadership ability by planning and instructing Navigators in significant Trail badge skills approved by your Advisor or Trail Guide and Trailmaster.
- At five Troop meetings, demonstrate your leadership ability by planning and instructing a Woodlands Trial group in significant skills approved by your Advisor or Trail Guide and the Woodlands Trail Ranger.
MARK YOUR PROGRESS:
- Successfully complete an Advancement Conference with your Advisor.
- Successfully complete a Board of Review
Have your Adventurer Advisor, Trail Guide, Troopmaster, and Board of Review members sign and date the Horizon Award Advancement Conference and Board of Review Signature Pages on pages 103 and 104 of your Handbook.